Warrior Princess Retreat
Empowerment & Adventure in Costa Rica
Rancho Margot ~ Lake Arenal
Monday, September 21 - Sunday, September 27, 2020
Calling all ladies with a love for travel!
We invite you to come spend 7 rejuvenating and empowering days deep in the rainforest of Costa Rica, learning the skills and practices necessary to channel your inner warrior princess.
This empowerment self-defense and yoga retreat is geared to give you the skills you need to feel confident and ready to defend yourself—both in everyday life, and while traveling.
You will gain valuable life skills in communication, martial arts, movement, and mindfulness that you can use at any stage of life, anywhere in the world!
You are empowered.
Your inner warrior princess is waiting to be unleashed into the world.
Learn your strength in a week of self-defense, yoga, and adventure in the Costa Rican rainforest.
Ready to feel strong, confident, and ready for anything?
Want to feel stronger, more confident, and better prepared than you ever thought possible?
We’re thrilled to invite you to the second annual Empowerment Retreat at Rancho Margot, with a week-long immersion into Empowerment Self-Defense, mindfulness and self-care, and of course the unmatched beauty of the Costa Rican jungle!
This exclusive experience is being offered for the first time in October!
- Get deep into empowerment, self-care, and real-life practical skills with daily empowerment self-defense and yoga.
- Adventure in the Costa Rican rainforest with your choice of stand-up paddleboarding or canyoning, followed by soaking in the indulgent hot springs.
- Learn archery and other indigenous skills from local Maleku teacher
- Share in a girls’ spa session using lush organic local ingredients including volcanic mud, coffee and chocolate and tropical, fruity drinks
- Connect with other like-minded women through meaningful discussions, games, ceremonies, and adventures in nature.
- Unplug and give yourself the gift of total presence. With limited cell signal, it’s easy to stay in the moment!
Part workshop, part retreat, with a little bit of summer camp, this immersive experience is packed with a big dose of adventure, deep connection, quality relaxation, nature, giving back, and a whole lot of fun.
In Empowerment Self-Defense workshops, you’ll learn:
- How to express a strong NO
- Skills for moving through the world and traveling with confidence
- Simple and effective physical techniques for self-defense
- How to set strong boundaries and enforce them
- Assertive communication skills
- Fun games and exercises to train verbal and physical skills
- The universal language of boundaries and self-confidence→ applicable in any cultural context.
- Role plays to integrate new techniques and apply them to real life situations
About Empowerment Self-Defense:
Empowerment Self-Defense (ESD) was created by female martial artists who recognized that the "self-defense" they were being taught was catered to how men fight men. They developed ESD to incorporate the social and cultural contexts specific to violence perpetrated against vulnerable populations.
With Slow-Flow Yoga, you will:
- Stretch and strengthen your muscles
- Learn mindfulness practices to bring back to your daily life
- Gain confidence in your body’s abilities
- Improve balance
- Decrease stress
- Enjoy expression and exploration through movement!
In this 7-day retreat you will:
> Build strength and confidence and get real tools for living an empowered life.
> Connect and learn with other powerful women.
> Immerse in a stunning eco retreat center set on over 400 acres of permaculture gardens and forests.
> Explore the surrounding rivers and hot springs in a full-day excursion off site.
> Dive into daily yoga classes and self-defense training
> Set intentions for your personal growth and make them reality
> Nourish your body and mind with healthy food and beautiful natural surroundings
About the location:
Rancho Margot is a world-renowned example of sustainable tourism practices with a stunning eco-hotel and retreat center. Located in the valley below Monteverde and the Children’s Eternal Rainforest, it is an unparalleled basecamp for learning, growth, and connection. Your inner warrior princess will feel right at home with this balance of rustic luxury and wild beauty.
Rancho Margot is an off-the-grid paradise, an ideal space to relax and reconnect with the beauty of nature.
This unique empowerment package includes:
- Daily self-defense workshops.
- Daily yoga classes.
- Transport from SJO airport to Rancho Margot and back (there will be one shuttle each way - details provided at time of booking)
- Your choice of:
- Canyoning, or
- Stand-up paddleboarding…
- Followed by luxurious hot springs time afterwards.
- Farm and operations tour of the inspiring Rancho Margot property.
- 3 delicious, farm fresh meals each day.
- Local coffee, medicinal teas, available daily
- Guided meditations and hikes in nature, including Forest Bathing!
- Expert guidance from trained instructors and facilitators.
- Hands-on archery and indigenous skills workshop from local Maleku teachers
- Use of Rancho Margot facilities, including freshwater pools, lounge areas, library, meditation spaces, and 400 acres of permaculture forests and gardens.
- Shared jungle spa experience.
- Opening and closing ceremonies.
- Group led activities and discussions.
- Community service project working with local children.
- Locally crafted welcome gift
- All local tourism taxes and service fees.
- ALSO→ your enrollment supports a day-long, intensive Spanish-language program empowering local women in the community with ESD skills following the retreat.
Package does not include:
- Souvenirs or other extras
- Alcoholic beverages from the bar
- Horseback riding, kayaking, or other additional tour activities available at Rancho Margot.
+Full experience pricing starting at $1,989 for a shared bunkhouse up to $2,678 for a single occupancy bungalow.
++Book with a second person and you each save $250!!
+++ Early Bird Savings: Book by December 31st for an additional $200 off!
++++ Book by March 31st for an additional $100 off!
Bungalow accommodations include:
- One to three occupancy
- Wrap around terrace
- Private bathroom with shower
- Handmade soaps
- Ceiling fan
- Mosquito netting
$2,475 for shared/double bungalow
$2,678 for single/solo bungalow
Bunkhouse accommodations include:
- Small two person rooms with bunk bed
- Large window opening to rainforest
- Lockable storage box
- Communal terrace with hammock
- Mosquito netting
- Five shared bathrooms & shower stalls
$1,989 for shared/double bunkhouse
$2,124 for single/solo bunkhouse
Who is this retreat for?
Any woman who loves travel and wants to feel more empowered!
- Solo Travelers
- Travel Agents/Advisors
- Young women, old women and women in-between
Anyone looking to expand their comfort zone, learn new skills, and experience incredible adventure!
Each day will start off with daily yoga sessions in the magical riverside yoga pavilion, followed by scrumptious farm fresh breakfasts including some of the best coffee in the world! Mornings will be filled with optional adventures and activities; at midday, we’ll enjoy farm-to-table lunch. Each afternoon will include a 3-hour empowerment and self-defense session involving hands on training, group discussions and interactive games. We’ll wind down with some evening chill time, farm to table dinner, and evening activities like spa nights, song circles, and bonfire. One day will find us exploring the area and participating in your choice adventure followed by an afternoon of soaking in the nearby healing hot springs.
About the Facilitators
Facilitator - Toby Israel
Toby is a vagabondess and storyteller with a metaphorical closet full of hats. She currently works as a creative facilitator, editor, and writer, and as Chief Storyteller at NuMundo, the digital platform for transformational travel.
Toby is a trained Empowerment Self-Defense Instructor and Yoga Teacher, and regularly facilitates workshops and retreats to empower, inspire, and transform. She is a full-time lover of movement, food, and words, expressing light and dark through many forms of dance, poetry, songwriting, and more.
For the moment, Toby lives in Costa Rica. (She came for a masters degree in Media, Peace and Conflict Studies from the UN-mandated University for Peace—and stayed for the papaya, sunshine, and conscious community.)
Facilitator - Amy Schmidt
Amy spent many years traveling the world, seeking adventure and beauty, practicing yoga, and working in a variety of jobs, before settling into a career in the nonprofit sector. After several years in this world, Amy chose a path into a different world and moved to Costa Rica to pursue a masters in Peace and Conflict Resolution at the University for Peace.
During this time, she also completed a training in Empowerment Self-Defense. Her teachings combine these many aspects of her path. She sees yoga not just as something we do to become stronger, healthier or more flexible, but as a service to the world. She sees ESD as a crucial way for women to move forward confidently in our quickly changing culture. Her yoga classes are an inspiring blend of movement, breath and connection to the beautiful world around us, and her self-defense classes are empowering and confidence-building.
She has completed a 230-hour RYT training at The Asheville Yoga Center and a 60-hour Yoga Alliance training with Janet Stone. She was trained in Empowerment Self-Defense by ESD Global in 2018 and has facilitated a variety of other types of classes and workshops within her nonprofit work.
Organizer - Tui Frye
Born on an herb farm on Volcano Poas in Costa Rica, Tui was raised and educated in the US. Studying PR and marketing, she fell in love with event planning and coordinating right after graduating. She returned to Costa Rica in 2005 looking for a slower pace and more authentic life and operated a successful B&B in Guanacaste with her husband. During that time she became experienced in the adventure tourism industry as well as began her experience with weddings and events in Costa Rica and her love for yoga.
In 2011 Tui moved from the beach to a family farm near the shores of Lake Arenal that is currently under development to become a permaculture food forest and community garden. Since then she has studied yoga, energy healing and reiki and become fascinated with travel and events as a way to positively impact both the participants and the places they visit.
Her passion is curating and co-creating unique and memorable events and experiences and sharing her home country with the world. She currently owns and operates Blue Butterfly Costa Rica Events with a focus on events inspired by nature. She lives in a fairytale tiny house on the side of Arenal Volcano, with her husband, 7 year old, 3 dogs and their cat.
Guest Facilitator - Hiqui
Hiqui is the daughter of a chief from the indigenous Maleku community of Costa Rica.
She was born in her small village Tonjibe, the second of 5 children. Her life is humble and a struggle, and she considers her father her greatest teacher and inspiration. He died being a very young man, but he instilled in her great values and love for her culture and a passion to maintain it.
She is a young woman who has embraced her culture, carrying through her travels the history of her ancestors.
She currently owns and operates a small cultural tourism company located in San Rafael de Guatuso Palenque el Sol in rural Costa Rica. There she receives foreigners and nationals to teach them about the indigenous Maleku culture and traditions.
Register now to reserve your space!
Spaces are limited as this is designed to be an intimate and hands on experience.
Register with a friend and save $250 EACH!!!
Make a $500 deposit to secure your space to become a warrior princess!!! Balance is due 30 days before the retreat.
Deposits can be made via PayPal or bank transfer.